In our modern society and with our fast-paced lifestyles, high stress levels has become the norm. High stress levels are a silent and stealthy underlying cause for just about every chronic health condition that you can name (Diabetes, Thyroid conditions, Hormone imbalances, IBS, Anxiety, Depression, Hypertension, Heart disease, Cancer, etc.)
Unfortunately, very few people take the time to help their bodies and minds to recover from stress effectively. It’s unlikely for our sources of stress to just evaporate, so it’s crucial to use stress management techniques to help reduce our level of stress and help us become more resilient to the physiological, mental, and emotional effects of stress.
One of the quickest ways to manage your stress is relaxation breathing. “Box-breathing” is a type of relaxation breathing that restores your natural breathing rhythm in times of stress.
Box-breathing can offer the following benefits:
- Reduces physical symptoms of stress and anxiety
- Improves mood and energy levels
- Helps with focus and cognition
- Reduces reactivity to stressful situations
To perform box-breathing, follow these steps:
1. Inhale slowly for 4 seconds.
2. Hold your breath for 4 seconds.
3. Exhale slowly for 4 seconds.
4. Hold your breath for 4 seconds.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 for 4 minutes or until feeling much calmer.
You can perform this box-breathing technique every day as a preventative measure to make your body and mind more resilient to stressful thoughts and situations. You can also use this technique, as needed, any time you may be feeling stressed or anxious.
Dr. Michael Morsillo, H.B.Sc., N.D.
Newmarket Naturopathic Doctor
16655 Yonge St., Newmarket, ON
905-898-1844 ext. 135